Thursday, August 24, 2006

Ironman Canada - Thursday Sightings

Professional athlete Nicole Guembel looks very fit this year and she has a spark in her eye.

In OK Falls we stopped to see the antique gurus Francis, Mike and John Trent. They collect rocks and other antiques and are history buffs. I was amazed at Mike's knowledge of the Spanish Inquisition and other facts of history. Pictured above with me are John and Francis. Mike (the dad) had some sage advise when I asked him about collecting rocks, he said, "Whatever you do in life, make sure you have a hobby. If you have a hobby, you'll live 10 years longer." I think he's right.

Be careful of the trucks!

Thursday. T minus 3 days to the race. Eons ago, when I placed 49th overall in this race, my friend Keith Simmons -- then a professional rock star singer -- showed me the Ironman run course. We rode it together with Jessi Stensland as she was just discovering her passion for Triathlon. Today I showed my friend Andy the run course– as we rode, I was thinking about the fact that I have to run that entire way, it seemed far– but perspective is very important in Ironman distance racing. If you can, it is always a good idea to bike the run course so you can get a feel for the route, where the hills are, etc.

Scott Jones, US Navy, and Billy Edwards, USMC along the run course
~