Friday, October 21, 2005

Kona From The Rear View Mirror

I have said before that things look different in our lives from the rear view mirror - Ironman certainly does.

It’s Friday evening and I have just arrived in Palm Springs for a conference. I brought my bike and shot this photo (above) when I stopped for a break when I came over the mountains.

Behind me is the sun, my home in La Jolla, CA, and the Ironman Week.

But inside me is the Ironman.




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> And like the magic glow worm from James and the Giant Peach, Ironman changes everything, once you taste it.

I'll ride tomorrow in Palm Springs – still have to open my bike case and put my bike together - the Ironman race numbers are going to stay on my bike for a while.

Don't miss the many reports and photos still to come in this blog from Ironman and from post-Ironman – I’ve decided to keep the blog going until next year’s Ironman, so check in daily...

Last night, my last night in Kona until the Honu race, I wandered around the pier and Ali'i drive looking for signs of the Ironman.



The finish line was dismantled and is now in storage. The clean up crews cleaned the place so well that I only found a very few items from the race and some worn chalk messages on the pavement.



Here is what is left of the Ironman, just a few days after the event.









I was struck by the number of “#” signs that preceded numbers.

They looked like tic-tac-toe games, and sure enough, near Lava Java, I noticed that some children decided to play a game in the hot sun (look closely at photo).

I wonder who won.

I guess we all did.

To email this, or any of the Ironmitch blog posts to a friend, just click here or click the small envelope located on the right below any post... it's fast and easy! Spread the word...

~