Monday, August 21, 2006

Ironman Canada 2006 - Road Trip

Total Est. Time: 23 hours, 47 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1431.36 miles.

It's time for a road trip - I decided to drive to Penticton this year. It's nice not to have to deal with the airport hassles - and it's great to have my car in town. It's also a great time to clear my mind with a long drive - to make some overdue phone calls, and to visit some interesting places along the way.

Late last night, when pushing to get to Bend, OR, I started to get tired, so I pulled off in Klamath Falls and found the Quality Inn (with an amazing free breakfast). This morning's local paper had a story about Gary Keppen -- 72 years young -- and his triathlon adventures.

Injury inspires triathlete
Herald and News - Klamath Falls, OR, USA
He stands at the shore in a wetsuit, fully prepared for the trek ahead. He will swim 1.5 kilometers, then complete a 40K bike ride and 10K run. ... click here to read the article.

In a few minutes, I'll jump back in the car - for the rest of the journey to Penticton - that fantastic lakeside city where I have raced before.

This year it should prove to be quite a journey, because I have no business racing an Ironman after taking 6 months mostly on my laptop and not my bike in order to heal my injury and to focus on work. With only a few weeks of light training, my goal is to finish this year, walking most of the marathon if necessary.

I'm going to listen to my body and make this year's race an adventure in fitness, using the week's events to catapult my fitness levels, and remind my physiology of the spirit-awakening-long-training-day-with-thousands-of-supporters-and-food-at-the-finish that we call an Ironman.
~